Montague City is the smallest of the five villages in the Town of Montague which was first settled by industrious German immigrants in 1792.
It's an attractive residential neighborhood and is the location for one of the largest hydroelectric generating facilities in Western Massachusetts,
Cabot Station. The village is also the home of the Northeast Anadromous Fish Research Center, which is operated by the U.S. Department of Fisheries and Wildlife.
The mission of this facility is primarily research oriented, the facility does provide selected educational programming for the public.
The world famous Montague fishing rods were made here from 1882 till 1955.
The Farren Memorial Hospital (1900-1963) and Farren Care Center (1964-2020) were major centers in Montague City.